PDA

Näytä tavallinen näkymä : Getting dropped during sudden acceleration

palashpulsar
09.06.2014, 13.53
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum.

I have been riding in groups ow. I am trying to go with the faster groups, but I always get dropped. I found that when the person in the front makes a sudden acceleration and pulls away, it becomes difficult for me to catch up. So I started following a technique. I make sure that the bike is at lower gear and I keep rotating the pedal even when I am drafting, so that if there is a sudden acceleration I can increase the cadence. It did help me a lot, but not enough to solve this problem. Is there any other better solution to approach such situation?

CamoN
09.06.2014, 14.19
Considering different training methods, interval training on a turbo trainer did wonders for me during the winter. It really helps to maintain efficiency when the tempo and power requirements fluctuate.

The changes you mentioned in riding technique are valid. I would add "keep your eyes in the shoulders of the group leader, not the rear tire in front of you."

Jumo
09.06.2014, 16.39
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum.

I have been riding in groups ow. I am trying to go with the faster groups, but I always get dropped. I found that when the person in the front makes a sudden acceleration and pulls away, it becomes difficult for me to catch up. So I started following a technique. I make sure that the bike is at lower gear and I keep rotating the pedal even when I am drafting, so that if there is a sudden acceleration I can increase the cadence. It did help me a lot, but not enough to solve this problem. Is there any other better solution to approach such situation?

It's fairly simple, you just need to apply the rule #5 : http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

If not successful, repeat

palashpulsar
09.06.2014, 23.44
Considering different training methods, interval training on a turbo trainer did wonders for me during the winter. It really helps to maintain efficiency when the tempo and power requirements fluctuate.
Thanks CamoN for sharing your experience. I don't have a turbo trainer right now, so is there any alternative to do so with the bike on the road? Or should I get a turbo trainer?

the rule #5 :D :D

jaska
10.06.2014, 08.33
Have you been riding a lot? Based on your description it sound that you are already quite in the edge. I think that simply riding/training more in order to get in better shape would help quite a bit. You could also do sprints (10-15 sec) in order to improve your sprinting capacity which would help to close the gaps.

Pekka Sirkiä
10.06.2014, 12.42
There are two kind of riders generally, or would I say 'genetically': sprinters (fast muscle cells more than slow cells) and so called "diesel engines" (slow cells more). You may belong the diesels group, if you can't accelerate fast enough.

Or it maybe your fitness level is so low, that your acceleration "mode" is weak. If the problem is this one, you simply must train more.

Prefer ride with riders who are just a little bit faster/stronger/durable than you are, to gain speed/strenght/muscle durability.

And have more training kms with some short prints, e. g. HIIT training.

CamoN
10.06.2014, 15.43
I don't have a turbo trainer right now, so is there any alternative to do so with the bike on the road? Or should I get a turbo trainer?

Find a road with a decent amount of rolling hills. Sprint up, spin down. When it doesn't feel good anymore, keep pushing for a few sprints more.

palashpulsar
10.06.2014, 21.19
Alright. Thank you everyone. So short sprints can help me in solving this problem.